I attended I.C.S. from kindergarten to eighth grade; the childhood years that are substantially the basis for any education achieved after that. I received a fantastic education, most especially in my own case in the Language Arts with teachers who permitted my roving eye to wander far and wide over any book I cared to read. I was far from alone among my cohort. The high school English teachers remarked on how easy it was to know an I.C.S. student from the others: we had better handwriting for one thing, but also were very solidly grounded in basics such as grammar, spelling, and the structure of a short essay. The formal education I received at I.C.S. has stood me in good stead: after completing my doctorate in American History, I became a university instructor of history, and now work in a hybrid position teaching both college and advanced high school students. I cannot imagine having completed my dissertation without the research and writing skills garnered in the middle school years at I.C.S. The informal education I received at I.C.S. deserves credit as well: in a classroom of truly mixed abilities. I learned patience, compassion, and the value of each person’s skills and abilities. That, I think, will stand me in even better stead over the rest of my life than will the wonderful academic skills I learned while at I.C.S. My teachers there remain the model by which I measure myself as an educator.
10 Best Things About ICS
- ICS provides a great Catholic education that enables students to know and appreciate their Catholic faith.
- ICS provides opportunities to pray and to participate in religious activities.
- ICS has weekly Friday Masses that promote participation by all students.
- ICS has great teachers who are skillful and promote a creative learning environment.
- ICS has small classes that allow for individual attention.
- ICS is a happy family and everyone knows each other.
- ICS has a strong academic program with required homework.
- ICS teachers challenge students to reach higher levels of learning.
- ICS has an outstanding technology program.
- ICS has many extracurricular programs that encourage participation by all students.
“Going to I.C.S. has defined who I am, and who I aspire to be. It has taught me humility and kindness.”
Ali Van Pelt – Class of 2007
“I.C.S. taught me about the Good News of Jesus and that I should spread it.”
Kaylee Hare – Class of 2007
“I.C.S. taught me the values of being a better person and to respect others.”
Mike Henry – Class of 2004
“I.C.S. helped make high school the easiest four years of my education because the I.C.S. teaching faculty is very good.”
Kyle Balzer – Class of 2004
“I actually know something about math and English, unlike many of my peers in high school, so I was prepared.”
Sam Burich – Class of 2004
“I learned how to manage my time concerning school work.”
Kaitlin McArdle – Class of 2004
“I.C.S. prepared me extremely well for high school. I felt like I was a step ahead of the other kids.”
Angie McVey – Class of 2004
“I.C.S. did a wonderful job preparing me for high school. I felt so ahead of the other students in math and English especially. I thank all the staff of I.C.S. because without them, I probably wouldn’t be the student and person I am” today.
Lauren Mettille – Class of 2004
“My years at I.C.S. were ten of the best years of my life. I grew so much spiritually and academically. I had some of the best teachers and made lifelong friends. I.C.S. really prepared me for the future.”
Elyssa Paulson – Class of 2004